Sunday, June 3, 2012

Run Your Own Race...with a smile on your face.

Today Amanda and I presented Holiday Relay!  I think it went swell!  Everyone was very receptive, participated cheerfully, and cared enough to ask some fantastic questions!  I hope this program gets spread to schools across the nation.  The idea of that is just spectacular.  Fingers are crossed to make Top 40 programs!  However, Amanda and I also learned a very important lesson today.  During the Olympic Games, we volunteered to partner up and participate in the wheelbarrow race.  (If you are not aware this is when one person holds and guides the legs of another whom is supporting themselves with only their arms in an upside-down fashion.)  Amanda was the first to be legless bear crawling in the magnificent Boulder grass while I held her legs.  Half way through her turn she began to feel it.  As her arms buckled, I tipped and rolled over her.  Our abs were probably getting the most workout from this entire ordeal because we were laughing so hard.  But I picked her back up and we persevered!  It came time for switch and for me to become the human wheelbarrow when I realized we were the only team left competing and only halfway through.  We smiled and laughed and in that moment nothing mattered but staying positive and getting the task completed.  Amazingly, we still had cheerleaders from not only our own school, but other's as well.  Our muscles were burning and we couldn't stop laughing, but we pushed until the end!  Just like the keynote speaker suggested, we were really running our own race.  We didn't quit when we noticed we were the only ones left.  We took it at our pace with huge smiles on our faces.  That is precisely what I plan to do about the results of our program.  Amanda and I have had a lovely experience with our first year at Texas Tech University and we will run our own race.  If our program is not selected, we will, with big smiles on our faces, take the evaluation advice and work harder to produce a more effective program to present in the future until we cross that winner's finish life.  If the program is selected, I guarantee our smiles will be just obnoxiously large as always.  We will run our own race with a smile on our face.

1 comment: